Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Coaching

I don't really have many strong positive personal experiences when it comes to coaches. I did play little league football and remember enjoying it, and I suppose we had a coach, but I just don't remember much about him. On the negative side, two coaches really stand out. There was the year I tried out for baseball. I went to all the practices and although I was no standout I thought I had a pretty good chance of making the team (seeing that coach was my best friend's dad). But the day came when I was cut from the team without any explanation. Then there was my junior high school football team. Mr. Moore was our coach and I had a conflict! I was wearing braces at the time and I had an appointment one afternoon and was told if I missed practice I was off the team. The appointment stood and I was out.

Now on the positive side a high school basketball coach, Ron Paulk had a great influence in me. You are right to scratch your head! I never played basketball, but he also taught pre-algebra. He made math come alive for me and helped me to see that it was something I could accomplish. When I was struggling, he came alongside to encourage and challenge me forward. He was a real coach!

When Trey began to play t-ball I became the coach. The city actually called to say that if they could not find a coach there would be no team. I was elected by default. Immediately I thought about helping this group of five year olds become a great team, but in one of the first practices the kids were all over the place. Some playing with grass, some playing tag, and I saw Trey turning around in the outfield with his glove on the ground. I yelled out, "Trey, what are you doing?" He replied, "Being a chicken." It was a great year!

I continued to coach Trey until the day it occurred to me that he knows more about playing baseball than I did. I had to trust his coaching to someone else who could move him forward. Over the years Trey has had several coaches. Some have done a great job, others . . . well they were not so good. Trey loves to play, and I have tried to teach him that he needs to learn what he can from both the good and bad coaches so he can continue to improve. At times, it has been hard to watch, but I am proud of him for never giving up!

How did I come to think about coaching? I just started a book called Transformissional Coaching. So far it strikes a cord with me. They state, "Coaching provides guidance and accountability to help leaders successfully implement new learning into the life of the church so that real change is accomplished".

When I think of coaching within the church three things come to the forefront of my mind. First, there is no room for bad coaching. Second, we must remember that we cannot coach what we have not experienced. Third, we need to remember that some of our coaching may take place outside of our “regular” assignments.

I believe that the authors are right, that coaching will be a primary means of rising up new leaders in the church. I wonder what kind of coach will I be? Thanks for coming along!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

You have some great insight into the world of coaching. One thought that makes coaching come alive to me: A great coach can impact someone who has gifts and abilities the coach will never possess.

Michael Jordan could do things with a basketball that Phil Jackson could not imagine doing. Yet Jackson was able to challenge Jordan to do greater feats than even Jordan could imagine. Remember Michael’s winning shot and the shrug of his shoulders as if to say, “Don’t ask me how I do this stuff"?

Often we are intimidated by gifted people and shrink from investing in those who have talents we can only dream of possessing. However, God often places us in the lives of gifted people to challenge them to greater heights or deeper thoughts than even they could dream.

Coaching is not always teaching what we know, it is often cultivating in others what God has created them to be. It is acknowledging their Divine design and honoring that design by never allowing ourselves or others to settle for mediocrity.

Don Vickers said...

Thanks Jay!

You bring out some great points, especially your last paragraph. It reminds me of the book "Spiritual Leadership."