Monday, September 15, 2008

First Post!

I really don't like to run. I never have. Perhaps I appreciated it more when I was a pre-teen running for my life from the neighborhood bully! I did have a day when I determined I was going to run and I ran about five miles. Well, I really limped home and could not move for the next few days. Running does not hold fond memories for me!

Why share this with you? I have a confession. I want to run a triathlon. A triathlon is the combination of three disciplines. Swimming, Bicycling and . . . Running! Now, I have been putting this off for more than twenty years. I have not been willing to discipline myself to exercise, or eat right so that I could actually accomplish this feat. Now I am 45 years old, and I want to run a triathlon.

How badly do I want to do this? Well, I purchased shoes the other day to fit the needs of my feet. I have been walking and riding my bike and I am watching what I eat. Nothing has helped more than finding a guide. I found a training program that will help me move from the couch to compete a sprit triathlon (a short distance race) in three months.

I have found this true in my Christian life as well. I desire to be the man the God desires for me to be, but sometimes I have lacked discipline in my life. I have not spent time with God as I should in Bible Study and Prayer. I have not said no to things that would distract me from my goal of living a Godly life. I believe that there is a simple plan laid out in scripture to help me with my task. “How can a young man cleanse his way? By taking heed according to your word (Psalm 119:9).

I have begun these journeys, to run a triathlon and live a life pleasing to God. My blog will share the journey with you. Occasionally I will rant, share thoughts about the weather, my family, friends, and friends and the Church. Thanks for coming along!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

A. You are 45? That is totally OLD.
B. What neighborhood bully?
C. You should do a race with Jim.
D. I think you will do great!
E. You are 45??
Love,
Your little sister (who isn't even 40 yet)

Don Vickers said...

Defending my status of being 45! I was born young! I will be picking on Jim to get some help!!

The bully - his name escapes me. He lived down accross from the Slidel's house.

Thanks for the encouragment - except for the whole age thing!