Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Travel

I get to travel more now than I ever have. I just had the privilege of going to South Carolina and meet with pastors for two days! Now to some people, meeting with pastors may not be their idea of fun. In fact to many it may be more fun to watch paint dry than to talk with a pastor. I really do enjoy it. Why? Well, when I meet with pastors, I get to ask them about their churches and what their hopes and dreams are. I get to ask them what they need to do next in their church to make a difference in their area.
The answers to those questions are varied. Some of the guys have been worn down over time and are moving week to week with no clear direction. Now, don’t get me wrong. These men have great hearts and have worked hard and love God, His Church, and the people they serve – it is just that through their years of serving they have given so much that their focus turned to survival.
Others begin to share the hard things that they face in their church. Sometimes it is their personal health, a difficult relationship, conflict, finances, etc. that have them discouraged. Some of the guys light up and begin to share what is taking place in their church and can outline what their hopes are for the next couple of years. These are the guys who I when I talk with them I think, I want to be in their church.
One thing brings all this out. The question, “What is your vision, your hope for the future of your church?” This is what gets them thinking. What challenges them to move on past the hurts and discouragement, what re-energizes them to push forward once again, what makes their passion flow!
I know that we are not all pastors (that may be a great thing). But we all can hear the question, “What is it that God wants to accomplish in and through your life?” If we will only hear the question and ponder the answer I believe we too can be encouraged, challenged to move forward and let the passion flow in our lives! Thanks for coming along!